Thursday 3 April 2008

Bead Sampler Part 2

It has taken a week to complete the sampler, but I feel it has been worth the time because I have enjoyed myself and I like the result. I enjoy buying beads, abit like a child in a sweet shop! Although once home I wonder what I will do with them so, similar to the Fat Quarter stash, I occassionally take them out and enjoy looking at them! It has been fun to spread out the bead stash and wander if this bead will go with that bead etc, and I now know - should I need to use beads in the future - what sort I would put together. One of my favourite sections is the pale green seed beads and the moulded shell shapes. Go and have a good look at the completed sampler and tell me which section you like...

So here is what I did...

I wanted to have the beads forming a spiral so I made some drawings.

I collected together all the pink and green beads I have bought over the last year.


I machine stitched the design on to the fabric and layed out the beads to see how they would look together.


Sewing down the beads...

Nearly there!

Completed! Can you see the section I changed?

The final piece is very heavy and has been put on an embroidery hoop to keep it taught. I intend to tidy up the edging fabric - similar to Suffolk Puffs, (Yo-Yos) - by gathering the fabric with stitching and then back the hoop with the bead edging sampler to hide the fabric. Leaving me with a double sided sampler for chapter 8.

2 comments:

stitching in the sun said...

Alison, your bead sampler is absolutely gorgeous and very well conceived. I love the spiralling idea! It's a shame it's only a sampler, couldn't you double use this idea and make a very precious bag perhaps?

Leanne said...

Oh my goodness, we are an ocean and 1/2 a continent apart and yet there are such similarities in our samplers! How does this happen? Great minds, etc., etc.? Mine is in the planning stages, colours are different, so I'll switch it up a little. I love your sampler, such a beautiful spring feel to it. I still have 3 feet of snow at the front of my house so your sampler makes me dream of a beautiful spring garden. Love it!