Saturday 30 July 2011

African Raffia Weaving Completed

Just finished sewing together the sides of the woven strips to create a triangular stick.


This is my interpretation of an African Fly Swatter


Here is a Maasai Beaded Fly Swatter






So you can see where I was coming from design wise!


And here are views of each of the three sides






Thanks once again to Mary Sleigh for introducing me to the delights of African textiles.


I will now put an end to this line of design work for the time being as I have priorities in other areas, especially the C & G course work, BUT now I have found them I doubt that the methods, stitches and design work of the African textiles will be too far away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's clear to see what the inspiration is, and your interpretation is fascinating to see.

Angie Willis said...

Beautiful. The decoration is great and I had a look at Mary Sleigh's website and will probably order the book - I've always been fascinated by African design so I'm really pleased I read your blog!