Tuesday 25 November 2008

Saturday with Ferret

Please note that this is not a tutorial but a selection of photographs showing stages of the making of my quilt on Saturday. Should you wish to make a quilt like this please go to Ferret's website for details of patterns and workshops.


My Leafy Quilt

My chosen colours, bright yellow for the front and the rich red leaf print for the backing, I also chose a lovely turquoise for the thin border.
The leaves I found on my breezy walk the day before.


I brought the "wrong" wadding, but define "wrong", yes it was thicker than recommended but when you see the final piece I am glad that I did what I did. The leaves that are quilted here all stand out in a rich 3D sculpted form.

To make the leaves stand out I quilted inbetween them with lots and lots of swirly free motion machine stitching.

And I didn't stop until it looked like this!

Here is Ferret taming a sewing machine, they all seemed to try our patience at one time during the day! No matter, Ferret had them sorted.

The background with border and binding, done the Ferret way.

I would try and describe this but, not only would it infringe on Ferret's workshop, it's also too hard to begin to describe and the quilt was nearly thrown through the window in frustration. Fortunately I won in the end, just don't take a close look at the stitching!

Sunday and last night was spent cutting out leaves that will be sewn onto the top...once this has been done I shall post a photo of the completed quilt.

No comments: