Saturday 11 October 2008

Shopping, Maggie Grey and Some London Sites

Daughter and I had a great day out at Alexander Palace, spending the usual too much on lots of goodies. I definitely know I will use them as I gave myself the rule of "IT CAN ONLY BE BOUGHT IF IT HAS USE IN THE MODULE". But I did break the rule by buying Maggie Grey's new book, then again it will contain ideas with could be incorporated in the coursework!



While at Maggie's stall I showed her photographs of the catalogues disintregrating in my garden, I'm sure I wasn't the first and not the last to do this over the week-end!

Clive said we will need to leave them out until November and then they will be used in the online course connected with the new book. Something to look forward to...

At Ario I purchased some Moon Shadow walnut ink sprays something Maggie suggested was a good idea to have when she taught at the Summer School in 2007, luckally this pack contains the colours being used in my module (remember the rule?) so I can spray the wet paper pulp to give it an interesting tint. Whilst checking through the workroom drawers last week I rediscovered some luster powders which suggested on the packaging that usuing Arabic gum would be a good way to use the luster powders - so I got some, again another way to make the handmade paper interesting. The third item is 3D medium - the stuff that expands when heated with a heat gun - more texture to the handmade paper.

These interesting goodies were found on Craftynotions stall. The moulding mesh with do what it says on the packaging! Thought this would be good for the grids I need to make, add pulp and stitching then carefully heat and see what happens - I have great hopes for this. Wiggle Mesh is a similar product with heat it - mold it - distress it - stitch it on the lable so that is what I'll do! The other package is grunge board, I'm intending to pop all the circles out and weave into it, add pulp and see what happens...

I saw this lovely silk thread and had to limit myself to the module colours - blue, yellow and brown - and that was difficult as they came in a miriad of shades!

Bobbins!

More bobins for my machines - I never seem to have an empty one when I need one!

The other bobbins are for my Lucet, I don't want to take off the thread that are on the two bobins that came with it, so got three more to put on the module 4 colours to make cord to weave into the grids.

Now when I said that I had set myself rules regarding the shopping list...well I broke them!
Shock, horror!

I saw some thread nets - the net covers that hold the threads on the bobbin to stop them tangling and some gold Maderia thread for a sample I am hoping to make.



I would like to do more goldwork since completing the banner so I bought a kit which I thought was a suitable subject to begin with.

With the Church Bazaar in November I bought this ribbon to make Christmas ornaments with. There will be a stall having a "bauble raffle"



And finally I had to buy something quilty, so bought this Japanese preprinted block which I will work in red thread and edge with the patterned and little rabbit print fabric to make a cushion cover for my lounge.

Shopping over by 4.50pm -this was a first as we are usually kicked out on the 5.30pm closing call! We left to have a closer look around the foyer.

At the entrance Tetley Tea were celebrating their anniversary with a huge tea bag.

And this "Coral Reef" was being added to by the visitors


Have a close look at the photos to see if you can find Nemo!

We headed by tube to the Sushi restaurant by St. Paul's Cathedral, only to find at Chancery Lane an announcement saying St. Paul's tube station was shut for maintenance so we jumped off the tube and walked!

And we discovered this charming sculpture on Shoe Lane

Walking up Fleet Street St. Paul's glowed in the evening sun


Once we had finished our lovely meal at Yo!Sushi we found St. Paul's glowing in lamp light!


We crossed the Millennium Bridge and sauntered down the South Bank on the way to Waterloo.

Lasers were being projected cross the river where a bridge once stood, it was very effective and had gathered a crowd! We carried on in the fresh Autumn air...and captured the London Eye.

This could be inspiration for a project!

At Waterloo whilst waiting for the train, we people watched and were impressed with this jacket!

Not a great photograph, but you get the feel of it!

Then it was home to bed and dreams of what to do with the goodies...

3 comments:

Karen Hurrell said...

Looks like you had a very pleasant trip and congratulations on being (fairly) restrained in your shopping.

Jennifer said...

Holy smokes -- how much fun can one have at a go? Sounds wonderful, and I love all the photos....

Elizabeth Braun said...

I was very controlled at the Harrogate Show I went to on Friday of last week and only bought 10 pieces of silk fabrics! At least 2 will appear in one of my assesment pieces though....

Oh the wonderful world of C&G level 3!! Come and see my work sometime too!=)